Continuing With Princess Weiyoung

Personally, I'm not a fan of Chinese Wuxia series if they take a long time to finish. Though, I can take comfort in the fact that they have a 40+ minute run each. So, it's really something when I consider that Ashes of Love wasn't so interesting. Meanwhile, I never thought I'd be captivated by Princess Weiyoung after having my kimchi overdose. Maybe, it's just time to rewatch Chinese series whether they're from Taiwan (Republic of China) or the People's Republic of China.

This is in a setting where women tend to be treated rather lightly. Women were usually married off to pay debts or become concubines because most of them had no choice. Sometimes, you had to make sure you're the first wife or empress of the household. This was a time when double standards played so high as to men having more than one woman but a woman can't have more than one man. Man, that's screwed up if you ask me! Princess Weiyoung has a princess named Feng Xiner assumes the identity of the daughter of a prime minister and a lowly concubine named Weiyoung. Hence the title is rightfully Princess Weiyoung. Xiner is not some weak damsel-in-distress but she seeks to rise up above everything.

The villains can either be bland or good. Chiyun family is known to be dysfunctional. One such member is Chiyun Rou who marries Prime Minister Li presumably for status. Rou herself is ruthlessly crazy such as why would she even poison herself? She also suspects that "Weiyoung" isn't Weiyoung. Her witchling daughter Li Changle who does suffer from nearly the same issues as Snow White's vain stepmother.  You also have the second prince Tuoba Yu acted by Vanness Wu. Seeing Wu play as a villain is something new. I always was used to Wu as a good guy. Personally, he does develop a villainous crush on Xiner even if she's not really all that hot. Unlike the typical cliche, Yu is attracted to Xiner's intelligence and wit instead of her appearance.

Right now, it's been like ages since I've been hooked up on a period drama. I admit that this show is actually getting in the way of my Toku watching. I've been rewatching Kamen Rider Kuuga with the Grongi subs but it's been put to a halt. Right now, I even feel like watching Wuxia may come in the way of me and newer Super Sentai (though I'm still hooked with Kamen Rider Zero-One). Hmmm... quite a mixed bag of feelings there, huh?

Comments