When K-Drama Lacks A Hot Lady But Makes Up For It With Good Acting And Plot


It's no secret that I tend to watch almost anything good for a bad reason. I may have chewed out Power Rangers Megaforce mercilessly in spite of the eye candy because the show was so bad. However, I tend to watch a good K-Drama for the same stupid reason I tend to watch a good Tokusatsu - it's for the girls! I remembered watching Gu Family Book, Uncontrollably Fond, While You Were Sleeping, Dream High, and Vagabond because I find Hiroyo Hakase ahem Suzy Bae pretty. The same went for Full House and Autumn in My Heart because of Song Hye Kyo. I remembered watching a couple of Japanese and Taiwanese shows because I found some girls attractive like Return of Condor Heroes (2006) and Green Forest, My Home.

While watching Still 17 - I think about it that I can't help but comment that Shin Hye Sun can't be considered pretty. Then I remember I had a crush on a girl who looks like her or that I once had a crush on Ako from Chojin Sentai Jetman. Hye Sun tends to remind me of Sayuri Uchida (Ako from Jetman) on the surface. Hye Sun doesn't mind about comments calling her ugly. In my case, I may no longer find her pretty but calling her ugly is an overstatement. What could, however, drive anybody to call Hye Sun as beautiful is well true beauty is found within, right? Hye Sun may lack the face and body but she makes it up for her performance and good heart. Her smile isn't plastic either which makes her unattractive face look prettier than she truly is. Those traits just make any show she's in engaging to watch. I'm reminded of why I even liked a girl who resembled her due to her kindness and intelligence.

I could also talk about the Korean version of the hit Manga series City Hunter and Secretary Kim. Park Shin Hye isn't pretty for me but both series have a good plot going on. Shin Hye isn't pretty and it's obvious she truly went under the knife. However, her performance again gives her a boost. What she lacks in the face - she makes it up again with her performance and the heart! I still think of the Korean localization of City Hunter to be really done well with the script and they filmed all their footage. I also think that I might watch to watch Busted because Shin Hye, though not pretty, always adds a layer of good acting to behold.

Pretty much, I would really want to focus more on the plot than the pretty lady. I could care less about a pretty face. What I want to see are good acting and a plot. Though I'd be lying to say I still don't watch a good K-Drama with a pretty lady only for the eye candy!

Comments