I'm Done With Lingjian Mountain

Yes, I'm already done with Once Upon a Time in Lingjian Mountain. I could say that the 37 episodes haven't been so fun but can still be fun. The first half focused on the anti-villain Tianlun. The second half starts to have them hit with Xue Boren (where the wolf siblings are mistaken to be eating humans when they aren't). There are some plots that just try to balance the show's comedy with seriousness as to avoid it from turning into a slapstick. But sometimes, I just wish a comedy were total nonsense rather than this show that tries to balance it. 

The conclusion of the Qianling Sect had its leader Tianlun try to seal the darkness away. The darkness arrives yet again in the second half. I would admit that the three wolves arc and the Fengling love story are interesting. The views between Wang Lu and Yunfan regarding the mythological demons is something. Yunfan just sees mythological demons as scum such as the honorable werewolf brothers. Boren just wants his wife Fengling the nine-tailed fox back. I just love how Boren gives up his demon powers. TBH, I kind of wanted to see a happy ending for Boren and Fengling. They had to be killed because the plot calls for it? I just feel some vinegar got into my sweet ham for the nth time. It's just like putting sudden tragic plots into a lighter show.

The plot also starts to reveal more of Hai Tiankuo who is the older brother of Yunfan. Yunfan does a typical deceive your friends to deceive your enemies. The final episode though is pretty rushed. It feels like the great darkness is not further elaborated. It also does feature the whole difficult situation with Ouyang Shang temporarily returning. It's a result of the Nuwa stone. Nuwa in Chinese mythologies would be similar to Gaea in the Greeks. In short, it should also be called as the Earth stone. Ouyang has been dead for centuries and decides to let Wang Lu have Wang Wu. WTF. Personally, I do find a lot of these centuries apart age different romances rather weird. That's coming from someone who's favorite Mortal Kombat character is Liu Kang - said character's love interest is actually 10,000 years old in Earth years even if she's only 20 (if she ages only every 500 years) in Edenian years!

Personally, I didn't find the plot too engaging. Why do you think I ended up watching Still 17 in between and didn't resume until I finished it? I would say that Lingjian Mountain doesn't seem too engaging. Too Anime-ish because it had an animated version prior to the Chinese live adaptation? Too Manga-ish because it was based on a Manhwa and the Manga is a Japanese invention?

Comments