Why I Think Prime Minister Hong Should've Been Samael Instead Of Edward Park

As Vagabond ends tonight, I do have the need to write a separate rant to why I feel the Samael revelation is probably a weakness for an otherwise interesting show. If you saw last night's episode, you can clearly see that Edward Park is Samael. I stated that it's just, anti-climatic! That really made me jump off my seat not because it felt surprising BUT it has to do with how weak it feels for me. If you think it's a good twist then fine but I always felt Prime Minister Hong and not Edward should've been Samael. The Prime Minister could still speak of Samael without revealing himself as the person running behind the scenes.

I think Edward feels he should've just been a lackey. Jessica herself was later revealed to be just a lackey so why not Edward too? Edward as the Bigger Bad doesn't seem to be very fitting for me. Okay, this is a BIG WALKING SPOILER so I hope you have seen last night's episode before reading this one. One could consider that the game could've been better played if Samael were pulling the strings from the Blue House than from a corporate office. Making Edward another lackey for Prime Minister Hong would've worked better IMHO.

You can consider how the cover-ups were done one by one. Who could help Dynamic (now the actual culprit) GET away or who could help John & Mark get away with their crimes too? Who can suddenly have Jessica arrested and Sang Mi suddenly released? Wouldn't that require a powerful politician? I even feel like the writers may have missed the opportunity to make the mysterious but now revealed Samael more threatening. Sure, the owner of Dynamic can be a threat, can be a powerful rival criminal towards John & Mark but behind that - somebody in politics should be the real big-time antagonist.

I remembered watching the Taiwanese series Black & White where the final antagonist was a Taiwanese senator. I think the writers of Vagabond could've taken that idea with Prime Minister Hong. Make him seem like he's serving Samael but he's really Samael. Make him speak in the third person whenever he mentions the name Samael. Prime Minister Hong has access to resources, he even made Shadow finally reveal stuff or what. He even now incriminates the president. Those actions should've been hints that he and not Edward is Samael. Maybe, have Lily betray Jessica to work for the Prime Minister because he's got the money. Maybe, have Jessica secretly plot to kill the Prime Minister only to die at his hands.

Why do I want to view Edward as just another lackey? Personally, Edward revealed as a villain isn't a bad plot. However, the hint was already dropped when Chief Gang said to never let Mikey know of Operation: Vagabond. I think Edward could've just pointed the gun and maybe have Prime Minister Hong send a message like, "Those who discover who Samael is outside his circle must die!" Have Edward respectfully say, "Master, let me get rid of this worm!" Edward doesn't look too much like he should be the Bigger Bad for me.

What do you think?

Comments