Vagabond's Final Episode

I don't know if the suspense was worth it. Again, you still need to see Vagabond and judge for yourself since my opinions are well JUST THAT. I'm just sharing what I think and some agree and some don't. The final episode hit yesterday and I'll share my thoughts on how the show went and ended in just 16 episodes.

I think one problem with TV drama over Tokusatsu is this - episode spacing. Sometimes, you need to run in more episodes to get something done. Vagabond had its promise though it almost ended up the way Toshiki Inoue or Yasuko Kobayashi would wrap up a series. It almost suffers from the same problems with Kamen Rider Amazons where the ending is really meh at best. I even wonder what really happened to why the ending ended that way. But before that - let's talk about some of the good aspects that got REALLY rushed.

The exploding warehouse scene was pretty well done. Both criminal groups John & Mark as well as Dynamic Systems are catching people in the conflict. What I really think of the forced alliance between Lily and Dal Gun is this - they have no choice but to help each other. Dal Gun is now considered a criminal and he's in hiding. He goes to the house of the former president who gives the former resources to hunt down for revenge. I love the pyrotechnics and escape but the intensity just falls down one way or another.

Right now, I really do find Hae Ri's imprisonment infiltration to be more stupid than smart. I mean, can you imagine if Hiroyo Hakase in Akibaranger allowed herself to be jailed for a reason? Can you imagine if Hojo Toru in Kamen Rider Agito set up that scheme? Jessica herself still hates her former ally Edward Park for a reason - it's her own personal greed. Jessica and Hae Ri both have no choice but to set the criminals up. I really find it funny how Hae Ri could just easily adjust to prison life. Has Hae Ri been jailed many times as a teenager? She seems to be granted by her feisty attitude. She's a good actress and fools Edward into bailing her out. However, she ends up having a shaky alliance where Jessica trains Hae Ri to be a lobbyist. Hmmm... can you imagine Hiroyo Hakase getting training from Super Science Network?!

I really feel the pain Dal Gun has in pretending to be dead to keep Hae Ri alive. Dal Gun joins the Black Sun mercenary group to infiltrate the ranks. Dal Gun sinks further into the dark side when he ends up killing Jerome to avenge Hoon's death. I find the whole pathogen scenario to be very scary. Seeing Jerome die from an epidemic with his skin breaking into boils is just disgusting. However, it's also oh-so-satisfying to see it. Dal Gun lays the perfect trap and finally kills Jerome. However, it's so sad that both Edward and Prime Minister Hong are still out there starting a new project.

The mystery of the very first episode is solved. You think that Dal Gun shot Hae Ri. However, it turns out that he freaking killed his fellow sniper. Yup, that's all there is to it? I really feel that the finale seemed like it had Inoue and Kobayashi both wrote it and agreed to said, "That's it! We're out!" We know how both Inoue and Kobayashi are with their finales. The writer Jang Yong Chol felt like met both Kobayashi and Inoue in how it happened. Edward and Hong are still out there starting what could be a dangerous project. Then cut... what really happened?

Personally, I kinda wished we just had a crazy ending where it was all a movie. Dal Gun is now a famous actor and everybody turned out to be just actors. Maybe, we can have Edward and Jessica will both pat Dal Gun and say, "You've improved as an actor." or something like that. I felt the final scene was just stupid and probably just for fanservice and nothing more.

I wonder are we getting a Season 2? Hopefully, there will be one but we probably just need a two-hour feature film to wrap things up. Maybe, have the most difficult challenge done. Maybe have Dal Gun finally prove his innocence through the movie. Maybe, give both Jessica and Edward their just desserts in the movie - though I'd like to see Jessica redeem herself by taking down Edward with her. Though I'd like to see a Season 2 with the same cast. There are still many hanging plots though I'd prefer a feature film instead!

Comments