It All Started With F4 And 5566


Although I'm no longer a big fan of Taiwanese drama (it seems a kimchi overdose got into me) - I still can't forget two major boybands that hit me. There were F4 and 5566. There were the competing time slots of Meteor Garden and My MVP Valentine. I wanted to check both out but one can consider that they had the same time slot. I had to choose one so I initially chose Meteor Garden having a bit of a crush on Barbie Xu though I also did have a crush on Angela Chang back then. Neither girl was attractive but both girls had their charm.

I could think about the different types of audiences back then. Males tend to prefer My MVP Valentine though I think it was too love story heavy. Females tend to prefer Meteor Garden due to its more love story-oriented writing. Both shows always had their competition. Then I thought about the music from both F4 and 5566. I was a big fan of their songs. I could think of "Can't Lose You" and "I'm Sad" happen to be among my favorite songs from their respective boybands. Both bands just kept producing really good music that I said, "Screw it! I will enjoy both!" Right now, both shows are available on Netflix so I can watch both shows at my own pace IN THEIR ORIGINAL AUDIO. Yup, I don't need to endure the lifeless Tagalog dubs of both ABS-CBN and GMA-7!

So how did both bands end up influencing me indirectly? I ended up watching the shows of their co-stars. A good example is how I became a fan of Barbie Xu-Wang because of Meteor Garden. Watching Magic Kitchen made me check out Andy Lau's films even if the said guy is just old enough to be my dad. I ended up watching Dolphin Bay because of My MVP Valentine. Though, I don't want to deny that Westside Story had me watching it because I had a heavy crush on Esther Liu during that time during the 2000s (she was 15 and I was 18 at that time) - not because of 5566. I'd say both bands created snowballs that would last for some time. Then those co-stars of them led me to watch more from their other co-stars. Dolphin Bay led me to eventually check out Lavender and 100% Senorita.

Eventually, both bands end up stepping down from the limelight in favor of new stars. F4 and 5566 both left an impact on Taiwanese entertainment. You can imagine the innovative stuff they brought with their performances. I still think how these two boybands were pretty once one of a kind. Right now, it's really hard to find performances like them if you ask me! Am I just growing old or are they really that unique of talents? Right now, I just feel like the newer stars in Chinese entertainment don't have as much charisma and talent as both boybands!

Comments