I Watched Westside Story Lusting After The Leading Lady, Lan Yu Li

Granted, Westside Story was a show that took place 16 years ago so my memory is vague. As I just started to rewatch it, I think about watching it because I missed some episodes due to having to study for exams. Now, the rewatch with the ORIGINAL Mandarin audio makes me cringe thinking about how horribly ABS-CBN does its dubs (and GMA-7 is no less guilty either). I remembered the F4 vs. 5566 fan wars when the Chinese theater popped into both ABS-CBN and GMA-7. I wanted to enjoy both though My MVP Valentine wasn't exactly my sort of thing yet. Westside Story came and the show as promoted on Dolphin Bay which aired at GMA-7 at that time. ABS-CBN would later air Westside Story. Both networks were at frequent competition over the shows they aired.

I just watched Westside Story for the heck of it because it was a well-talked show. Peers of mine, Tsinoy or not, were watching it as if it were an Anime-based show. Though one thing or one person caught my attention. I was 18 years old then and I remembered 15-year old Esther Liu. Okay, this sounds really creepy but I remembered getting magnetized into the show because of her. ABS-CBN dubbed her character as Jamie though the original was Yu Li. What's with the Tagalog dubs giving them English names? I really found her to be that beautiful. She has a resemblance to Korean actress Song Hye Kyo except she has the sexier version. She also resembles Haruka Suenaga except she's prettier IMHO.

A rose is beautiful but it has its thorns. Just rewatching the first episode had me see Yu Li actually do some stunts. She did a judo throw at a thug. Just imagine if you want to grope her or even rape her and she might break your arm. She's a feisty female who strangely turns me on. Yet, she became that guilty pleasure where I tend to watch a good series for the wrong reasons. While shows with lots of eye candy can still fail if the plot is bad but it's hard not to enjoy a good show if it's not eye candy! Hehehehehe!

Comments