Kamen Rider 01 Episode 5: A Manga Artist Learns The Importance Of Innovation With His Heart In It

Sometimes, I do feel that some episodes in Tokusatsu tend to be a commentary on something. This episode features a Manga artist named Choichiro Ishizumi -- a Manga artist whom Aruto is a fan of. This episode seems to show that while technology and innovation are indeed wonderful, the digital age makes things easier yet it can also spiral out of control when people forget their human emotions and passion. It's the problem I tend to have with some modern entertainment when cash grabs have become more of the aim than making customers feel they're getting their money's worth.

The Manga artist Choichiro has ordered some HumaGears to help him produce several new Manga. Aruto does express his dislike for this one. Aruto prefers Choichiro's passionate Manga way before the HumaGears started taking over with automation. It also turns out that Aruto's paternal grandfather was still focused on human passion -- seeing HumaGears far beyond them as artificial intelligence. Also, even artificial intelligence needs to rest. In real life, machines need to be cooled down. Humans who created these machines need to rest too then how much more the machines that they created?

I do feel there are times that any entertainment company shoots itself at the foot. In this case, I do feel Toei might be in the danger of it too considering it's not a perfect company. Do you ever notice that the new forms of Kamen Rider Zero-One are just succeeding one after the other since episode two up to five? I really have that in concern since the Heisei Riders did the whole multiple arc thing almost perfectly. If you remembered, Kuuga got a new form and he needed to master it. I have to admit though Agito just accessed them based on past memories. So I wonder what was in Toei's head? Hmm but didn't Super-One get his gloves all at once? I wonder is Toei experimenting it on forms now? If so, I hope they won't botch it but if they do -- they need to take notes and learn from it!

The problem with Choichiro is he has become overly complacent and reliant on the HumaGears. Choichiro is just after a cash grab -- it reminds me of why I'm not to happy with Capcom and even Namco (since Tekken 7 for me has been a real disappointment) since the 2010s and up to now especially with how they're treating the Street Fighter series or how I'm glad I didn't buy Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite. Also, I think about how many companies have decided to rely on microtransactions to earn more money in a cash grab. Like WTF why are we paying for extra content? Is Choichiro a representative of that? He doesn't care anymore as long as he's got a cash grab.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm Aruto and Choichiro represents the video game companies of my childhood. Sometimes, I just feel like telling Capcom to remember what made the Marvel vs. Capcom series once beloved before they botched it since Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I even feel like telling Namco's Katsuhiro Harada how Tekken 7 pales in comparison to Tekken 6 or Tekken Tag Tournament 2 in terms of content. Innovation without passion just makes the new fall in front of the old. Aruto awakening that passion brought back the really good innovation in Choichiro than when he was more interested in the cash grab.

Somehow, I'm tempted to write a lesson for the week. New innovative concepts are welcome but a lack of proper execution for the sake of a cash grab is innovation without passion. It does happen a lot. Innovation is not just a matter of the mind but also the heart. Both mind and heart come in innovation. Innovation focused too much on cash grabs are bound to collapse. Innovation focused on making customers pay for quality service is destined to be sustainable. I'm just thinking about how many businesses do end up screwing up when they forget the smiles of customers and focus too much on the money -- just like Mr. Krabs!

Comments