When A Toku Break Just Refuses To Give Me A Toku Break

I always feel the need to take a break from Tokusatsu because there's other new school stuff worth watching or other old school stuff also worth watching. I just thought about it that staying away from Japanese entertainment is no guarantee that a Toku break will happen. So how does that happen? I just feel the need to take a break from Tokusatsu like I take a break from ramen -- but some things just aren't meant to be.

I remembered how I took a break from Tokusatsu last decade and somewhat successfully did. I focused mostly on the new school Korean TV series and Taiwanese TV series. Whether they were typical love stories or the action-packed shows (which aren't meant for children) -- I find them to be more enjoyable than Tokusatsu. But time came that I started missing Tokusatsu. I would start to watch newer shows either out of curiosity, good reviews, because I just dislike Power Rangers (and felt that I need to educate the fans about Super Sentai), or the dumbest reasons which would be the attractive actresses -- never mind that not all my favorite series have them! Some of the series that I love don't have attractive female leads but they're worth a rewind because of really good storytelling!

These days it's just hard to take a break from Tokusatsu even when I want to! The reason has to be this. If you happen to be someone who watches Tokusatsu and enjoys other East Asian stuff -- you may find so many lookalikes between Tokusatsu and non-Tokusatsu shows. Right now, while watching the 2010 drama series Lucky Days -- Haruka Tateishi from Doubotsu Sentai Zyuohger looks like the Taiwanese actress Tammy Chen! One can also think that Suzy Bae looks a lot like Maaya Uchida -- even netizens make that comparison between them! Even during my Toku break I remembered how I compared Ambrose Xu's face to Kazunori Inaba/Red Mask while I was watching Lavender (which I'm a huge fan of the opening theme) and Dolphin Bay. So much for a break, right?

I was initially planning to take a Toku break completely after Kamen Rider Zi-O. However, Kamen Rider Zero-One's plot sounds rather interesting. Instead, I end up having the tentative plan to skip Ryusoulger to focus on making Vagabond and Zero-One reviews until Vagabond's airing ends. But I think my Ryusoulger break may be short-lived either.

Comments