Jingle Ma's Hua Mulan Should've Had A Sequel Where Mulan And Wentai End Up Together!

Related image
I did enjoy the brutal choreography (which was close to Arnold Schwarzenegger's version of Conan the Barbarian) of Jingle Ma's Hua Mulan with one character dying after the other. Heck, I even thought the death of Jaycee Chan's character as a human version of Mushu was something satisfying to watch. Now, I thought that the ending was a cliffhanger and I hated that, "Why must Weitai marry that Rouran princess to secure a treaty? It's just not FREAKING FAIR after all they have gone through!"Some may argue that he can take Mulan as a second wife but WTF - it's just not fair for any woman to be forced into that position!

Then I remembered Disney's Mulan had a sequel. Well, there's no Mushu-type character to ruin it so that means don't expect Jaycee to return. What's my possible plot? Wentai doesn't love the Rouran princess and he still loves Mulan. Mulan makes that sacrifice for the good of the nation until she sees that she still loves Wentai. She has already opposed tradition once by becoming the first female general -- she would later see that it's possible to have peace between China and the Rourans without a ridiculous marriage proposal to top it.

I think it should involve scenes like Wentai saying, "But father! I love Mulan!" Wentai should be portrayed as stubbornly wooing Mulan who finally sees the error of the emperor. I always thought that Mulan is a symbol of questioning traditions when they're wrong and keeping traditions that are right. It's all about achieving that middle road where authority values creativity.

Comments