Skip to main content

I've Just Finished Dream High

I just finished Dream High and I admit -- it's addictive. I'm glad I didn't watch it on ABS-CBN (and I don't care about GMA-7's stupid dubs either). I thought about how Dream High is almost everything Victorious isn't. It's a show where characters develop and you don't get the same running gag such as Kat not getting any smarter or Jade always getting jealous. Okay, not everyone's got an equivalent though I kinda want to compare Hye Mi and Baek Hee to Tori and Jade in some way.

So how're things with Hye Mi and Baek Hee? They started out as friends, became rivals and friends again. It was nice to see Hye Mi have the flaw where she got somewhat arrogant due to her classical singing. It caused her friendship with Baek Hee got ruined. Baek Hee ended up nearly dropping a flower pot on Hye Mi (and I wish she voluntarily served time for it as part of her character development) and how the two eventually patched up. Baek Hee is pretty much how Jade in Victorious should've been handled. Hye Mi does seem to end up as South Korea's Tori Vega in some way but she fortunate that doesn't have to deal with somebody like Kat. It's a good thing we don't have an episode where they all got stuck in a trailer because someone rudely parked in front of theirs and nearly dying of thirst and exhaustion!

Then there's the non-dramatic love triangle between Sam Dong and Jin Guk over Hye Ri. It was hard to choose who she should end up with -- it was no easy choice though she ended up with Sam Dong. Baek Hee does have feelings for Jin Guk which complicates matters for some time. I thought the love triangle's not being so dramatic was probably one of the best things in the show. Then there's Sam Dong's hearing loss disease. I always found that there were two potential chemistries. But I guess the whole Sam Dong x Hye Ri one should be there. It seems Jin Guk is actually better off with Baek Hee. It's Jin Guk that made Baek Hee better, right? I love how Jin Guk managed to beat up that pervert who attempted to molest Baek Hee later on.

The somewhat comic relief plot is with Jason and Pil Sook. I kinda wonder how did the actress Li Ji-Eun get those paddings done? The fact she slimmed down that fast is just kind of WTF. But at least Pil Sook is no Kat in Victorious. Pil Sook has perfect speech and Jason has a good command of the English language. Like, I'm so jealous of Jason's linguistics watching the show! At least, they do get some real plot material.

The ending does have a time jump. Everyone gets the audition but not everyone becomes stars. I guess Pil Sook decided to become a pre-school teacher and help children. Baek Hee becomes a teacher in her alma mater. The ending does have some tears for an otherwise lighter show. Hye Ri sings "My Only Hope" by Mandy Moore (which is just a voiceover) thinking about Sam Dong as he makes his U.S tour. There's some crazy pairings going on which may make you laugh or not. I just thought the final episode does have a hanging one -- though it's implied that both Sam Dong and Hye Ri ended up together.

Comments