Skip to main content

I'm Not Really A K-Pop Fan But I'm Giving Dream High A Shot

It's no secret that I usually don't care about K-Pop (and I just ignore it most of the time) because while I prefer Korean food better -- I'd still think J-Pop is better. Then I thought about watching Suzy Bae's first debut drama where I think she might be a bit of "exception" to the rule. I really didn't find her Japanese doppelganger Maaya Uchida's voice all that special (and Maaya crying in Akibaranger can be quite forced) compared to Suzy. Though I wish that Suzy sang in Japanese instead of Korean. I don't really find myself liking K-Pop that much, if not at all and I'd rather see those K-Pop guys perform military feats and taekwondo than sign on stage.

Suzy's interesting (and challenging) debut is carrying out the role of the spunky Hye Mi. Hye Mi is full of frustrations due to her broke status which isn't her fault. Her stupid father owed so much money that she has fallen into such a state. She doesn't want to get to the music school because she wants to but she has to -- in order to pay off her debt. She wants to do classical singing (which I think Suzy has THAT VOICE) and I wonder why can't we get Maaya to enroll in that school instead? Wait, we're in South Korea and not in Japan. It's hard to challenge Suzy considering she's tough-as-nails. She has her conflict with estranged best friend Baek Hee whom she betrays in an audition -- it's all because she's too desperate to get out of her broke status. While Hye Mi was wrong but I can still understand in part.

How would I end up reacting to a series that deals with K-Pop when I personally don't consider myself a fan of it? I hardly listen to K-Pop nor care about it. But I somehow tolerate it whenever I watch K-Drama series while I hardly develop an interest for it. But so far, so good for me.

Comments