I'm Now Rewatching The Outsiders Taiwanese TV Series

I remembered watching The Outsiders on ABC-5 before it became TV-5. I remembered it was a late night program and didn't get to finish it because of college classes that started at 7:30 A.M. -- I had to get enough sleep or risk losing lots of stuff! So I did watch it but never got to finish it. Then I thought Netflix does something by bringing in some 2000s series that I haven't finished together with some new school.

I currently put Ashes of Love on a halt to watch some old school Taiwanese TV series. Sometimes, when bored with what's new then why not temporarily watch old school? I did that with Super Sentai (and right now, I'm watching more new school Super Sentai until I get bored) then I might as well watch some old school TV drama then check new ones out later. There's still Vagabond later this year so maybe, I just need to watch some old school in order to to avoid getting taste fatigue with new school drama. 

So far, Outsiders has been what I'd call an unusual drama of gray morality. Sometimes, the best students in schools are worse scoundrels than delinquents. The leading lady Yu Yan is frail and naive then she gets into the gangster world with the "three brothers" namely Yu Hao, Li Jie and Xun Qi. The three of them do the Three Kingdoms vow at a local Chinese temple like Liu Bei, Zhang Fei and Guan Yu. However, things get complicated when Yu Hao (who had a crush on Yu Yan since he was a boy) got Yu Yan. It gets complicated when Yu Yan's parents (and she has a rather controlling father) disapprove of the romance between Yu Hao and Yan Zi. I also didn't like the idea Ady An playing the frailer, weaker roles. Maybe, it was because she was that badass when it came to Chinese Paladin. Here, Ady is just a weaker woman until later in the series. 

There was also an interesting love triangle between Yu Hao and Li Jie for Yan Zi. I always rooted for Li Jie who was the cool-headed guy in contrast to the more bad boy Yu Hao. I always had it said that Li Jie should have just left his two other sworn brothers. Heck, I always thought that Li Jie should've been the one who had Yan Zi. But we know where secondary leading men go, right? Besides, the whole plot where Li Jie murdered a man (out of the heat of passion) sent to rape Yan Yu out of the heat of passion is just crazy. He doesn't even resist arrest and decides to let the law punish him. He was always the non-violent type so why did he commit voluntary manslaughter? It's all for love. He just wants his beloved to be happy.

Comments