My Recent Thoughts On Kamen Rider Zi-O This April 12, 2019

"If you're bored with something you like then why not do something else?" is what I was trying to do with Kamen Rider Zi-O. So I took a bit of a break to focus on Ryusoulger and Ashes of Love. But I started saying, "Well what have I missed?" with Kamen Rider Zi-O. So I decided to do some marathon after weeks of slowing down (and I may slow down again depending on the circumstances BECAUSE well there's new school stuff out there) but it's not safe to say I'm not taking a bit of a break in between AGAIN. I mean, I just feel a break from Kamen Rider Zi-O every now and then has helped ease my mind.

I thought that a four-partner that featured Hiryu Kakogawa as Another Zi-O was a nice spin. This has me criticize something I truly like. I felt that the Time Jacker trio is actually a little more competent than the Gorgom Priest Trio in trying to find another king. They wouldn't be too focused on half-brained plans for world domination like Shocker would -- instead they decided to pull what could be the end of Kamen Rider Zi-O. Hiryu becomes Another Zi-O and it's planned by Schwartz. Schwartz appearing and trying to actually turn time makes him way more competent than High Priest Darom or the Time Jackers actually GET THEIR HANDS DIRTY almost every episode unlike the Gorgom High Priests for a good portion of Black. But it's unknown as of this time if they have someone above them -- but I do believe somebody is giving orders to them and Schwartz is just the default antagonist as of this time! 

The four partner was really amazing arc written by Kento Shimoyama. IMHO it's a huge improvement from his performance to Ninninger -- maybe I should blame Naomi Takebe because she just SUCKS with Super Sentai even when I'm a fan of Kamen Rider seasons under her watch! While I do still have the right to fear him missing but maybe Shinichiro Shirakura may have pulled something right -- remember that Shirakura was co-producer of Jetman, Zyuranger and Dairanger while working as the head producer of Kamen Rider Agito, Kamen Rider Faiz and well the infamous Kamen Rider Decade then he was also behind Kamen Rider Amazons. Yes, Amazons! I thought the mini-series itself was an interesting, more mature spin not meant for children too!

What pisses me off though (at times) is why Kamen Rider Decade is overstaying his welcome. I may prefer Heisei over Showa but I'd watch Kamen Rider Black RX over Decade any day. Also, the fact that the show doesn't look like the plug will be pulled any time soon means the show must be doing well. Maybe not TV ratings wise (as these days, it's the digital age) BUT at least we're moving past episode 30 with a new arc, right? Decade is still overstaying his welcome -- please don't give me the, "Well Saban's Mashed Rider was worse than Decade!" argument because while Decade is still better than Saban's Mashed Rider (and the crossover with Shinkenger beats "A Friend in Need") BUT I still can't stand how disorganized that show is. Alternate Reality Riders? Well BAH! Kamen Rider Zi-O is actually paying better tribute to past seasons IMHO. 

The whole four parter was actually a nice change of pace if you ask me. At least, we get something different though we do get back to two-part arcs...

The relationship between Geiz and Sougo is starting to get into the whole denial stage. It's somewhat reminiscent of Shinji and Renn in Kamen Rider Ryuki -- though I wonder what if Yasuko Kobayashi were part of the writing crew? Will she well add more conflict to it than Shirakura intends to? Though I don't blame Geiz's mood shifts -- he's from a future where Sougo becomes a tyrant then he ends up befriending a younger version. The whole premise is starting to be where Geiz is still willing to make sure Shougo doesn't become Demon King Zi-O. How it'll happen is yet to be seen.

Just a thought -- my prediction that Sougo cheated on his exam as the root cause may not be real. But what if future episodes will reveal Sougo cheated to pass school and caused a string of events that led to the Day of Demon King Zi-O? Hmmm is Butch Hartman now working with Toei after he got tired of Nickelodeon disrespecting his works? The idea is too far-fetched though but I'd like to joke that it is real when it isn't!

Well it's 29-30 and I admit that it's the return of  one of my favorite past-Decade Kamen Riders. Let's face it that it's been 15 years since Blade aired though I watched it only at my own pace. Blame the lack of accessibility back in the early 2000s huh? Plus, I hated the cheesy Cartoon Network dub and I was still watching other new school stuff and relying too much on other bloggers' opinion than forming my own. So I did remember watching bits and pieces of Blade then watched more of it because I felt the need to watch more Kamen Rider after I got bored with Korean and Chinese TV drama shows.

It's nice to have Kamen Rider Blade and NOT Alternate Reality Blade. Yes, that's just one good thing such as the return of the cast from Blade. There's Kazuma and Hajime returning -- not some lame Alternate Reality Kamen Rider. Amane from Blade becomes Another Rider at the whim of White Woz. However, White Woz starts to have a change of heart and eventually ceases to exist. Both Black Woz (the current Woz) and White Woz have appeared for reasons -- White Woz eventually disappears. Also, there's an interesting new power-up that combines Zi-O, Geiz and Woz into Trinity Form. Woah! As if Shotaro using Philip's soul to become Kamen Rider W wasn't even enough! It's cheesy, the design is somewhat weird but it did help save the day.

Though I do have perhaps another beef -- it's the return of Kamen Rider Died ahem Di-End but I'd rather call him as Kamen Rider DIED! Kamen Rider Died or Daiki "Just Die" Kaito is really getting on my nerves again. Remember when he stole Genta's treasure or when he steals something that suits him? Sheesh why didn't he just die in Super Hero Taisen? I know the movie is most likely not canon but still that movie should've at least KILLED THE F*CKER! But no Daiki or Died is back with his stealing schemes -- he NEVER learns does he? I just wished that he had his hands cut off during the Shinkenger/Decade crossover!

What's more interesting (and exciting) for me is the arrival of Kamen RIder Agito's main cast. Not everyone is returning but WTF -- I'm actually excited to see Agito OVER Alternate Reality Agito any day. I can't really get over what happened with the World of Agito in Decade. Remember when Alternate Reality Agito is a homeless vagrant? Decade was so painful especially their version of Shoichi is NOT the Shoichi of the original series. I wonder if Jun Yamasaki is returning though I never cared too much about his acting performance -- it's probably because I still think Shinji Kasahara should've been signed up as Hojo Toru after Timeranger! 

As said DO NOT expect me to review or give weekly updates on Zi-O all the time. But maybe I will watch the Agito Arc then take another short break in between again. Slow pacing has done wonders for me considering that writing way too many reviews (and updates) can be very stressful!

Comments