I'm Also Having Negative Feelings Towards The Shirakura-Shimoyama Tandem

Is it me or do I see this one coming? Shinichiro Shirakura and Kento Shimoyama are pretty much hit or miss. I'd like to address my desire to first feel positive about Kamen Rider Zi-O (because I usually prefer new school Kamen Rider over new school Super Sentai) but it seems I'm getting the Decade Meltdown effect all over again!

So what's up with Shirakura? I admit that he was responsible for some good ideas such as when he was the co-producer of Jetman, Zyuranger, Dairanger and well if I'm not wrong Kyuranger. He was also responsible for Kamen Rider Agito, Kamen Rider Ryuki, Kamen Rider Faiz, became the new producer for the second half of Kamen Rider Hibiki, Kamen Rider Kabuto, Kamen Rider Decade and the current one Kamen Rider Zi-0. I admit, I do like a good portion of these entries and I blame the higher executives of Toei for why Ryuki had that really stupid reset button hit! Then I thought about how I think Faiz gets too much unfair hate. Agito well it's still my favorite Heisei era Rider series. Kabuto is well decent enough and it's Shoji Yonemura's one-shot wonder IMHO. Though it seems as of late that Shirakura is probably bitter about the higher-ups' constant meddling which may explain why Zi-O does have its ups and downs as of late. What is he thinking about making more extra guest riders such as Kamen Rider Quiz and Kamen Rider Kikai? WTF?! I thought we're supposed to wrap up the Heisei era as it inevitably ends?!

Now what's with Shimoyama? Okay, Ninninger is better than Ninja Steel -- hands down! But it's only slightly better than Ninja Steel but only because there's no two-season split and the girls are hotter but that's just it! Other than that -- I don't even bother to rewatch Ninninger after I've finished watching it in contrast to Go-Busters, Kyuranger and Lupinranger vs. Patranger. So how's he doing as a head writer? I have my mixed feeling. At first, it's tolerable but Nobuhiro Mouri is actually improving since Kyuranger for me. Then I'm thinking about it that Shimoyama's arcs are either good but can get boring in some way.

I can't really fully determine the amount of negativity I feel towards Zi-O right now. I do get entertained to a certain extent but other times there are some down moments. But it's still too early to judge it before it ends. But right now -- I'm still sitting back and hoping to find out how the Day of Demon King Zi-O can be prevented or what caused it to happen in the first place!

Comments

  1. Hello, and I apologize if I did not post my take on the Ryuki tribute arc. I was utterly disappointed at how it turn out, as there were lots of things that I did not like, such as having no connections to Ryuki, as well as there is no mention about the rest of the ORE Journal staff members (such as Nananko Shimada and Reiko Momoi) whilst Daisuke Okubo is the only one to appear.
    Tyhere is even no mention of the other Riders or the Kanzaki siblings (Shiro and Yui).

    As for this post's topic, I think that Shimoyama is starting to lose some of its edge with the guest riders popping in, serving as a one-off characters like what happened to Kamen Rider Jun ansd Dark Necrom-P. I was hoping to that Shinobi and Quiz hanging out with the heroes for several episodes instead of appearing for only two episodes.
    With Kikai's run over, there's the impending guest Rider Ginga.
    I think Shirakura plays a hand with Zi-O's faltering flow as I believe he opted for two-episode arcs instead of several episode arcs (like in the case of Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Gaim and Build).
    Overall, I think that the series if on an 50-50 level as some arcs somewhat make up for the past ones (the Quiz and Kikai arc's plot make up for the disappointing Shinobi and Ryuki arcs).
    If the next episodes fgalter again, the I suppose Nobuhiro Mouri would be tapped in again if that scenario happens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Roy Miguel

      Thanks for dropping by and giving your thoughts.

      TBH I am already getting irritated at those random Kamen Riders that are only meant for two episodes. Really, I wonder are they just trying to sell more toys based on one-shot Riders? It's really THAT ANNOYING. I dunno if I could still sit down and watch it because of that one.

      TBH I've been slowing down as of late due to Shimoyama messing things up.

      Delete
  2. Personally I hope that we see the another rider counterparts of the earlier heisei riders because I love the concept and I hope that we don't get the same another Agito from Kamen RIder Agito. (shame we didn't see another Ryuki but there is a video of what he could look like on YouTube) The Celtic Multiverse on Deviant art has made another rider counterparts of various artists' characters like Kamen Rider Fossil.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment