Are Kamen Rider Zi-O's 0.5 Episodes Breaking the Fourth Wall Through Self-Parody?

Kamen Rider 0.5 episodes are really ringing in some weird humor. Okay, I'll just warn people to take what you read from Toku wikis (or whatever bloggers may have to say, even myself since I'm no expert in Toku so bear in mind I could be wrong about many things) with a grain of salt if need be. I even thought about the whole entry in Kamen Rider Wiki which says, "From interviews, Shirakura is noted as having a general derision and dislike of the tokusatsu genre, viewing the entire media form and any project he is not in charge of as "Juvenile"." -- but where is the source for such information? I guess Shirakura (like him or HATE him) may be completely aware and is now backfiring with some self-deprecating humor.

So what's the history of Shirakura in Tokusatsu? He's the head producer for Kamen Rider Agito, Kamen Rider Ryuki, Kamen Rider Faiz, Kamen Rider Blade, became producer of Kamen Rider Hibiki after episode 30, Kamen Rider Kabuto, Kamen Rider Den-O, Kamen Rider Decade, the adult spin-off Kamen Rider Amazons and currently Kamen Rider Zi-O. He was also a co-producer with Chojin Sentai Jetman, Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger, Gosei Sentai Dairanger and Ucchu Sentai Kyuranger. He also is the producer of the now discontinued Super Hero Taisen series -- he did it presumably due to seeing the project no longer feasible. So that's why I doubt the claim that he's actually destroying Tokusatsu or that he hates it. I guess these clips is meant to attack whatever false claims there are.

So why is there some degree of fan hatred for Shirakura? It was when he actually replaced Shigenori Takatera as the head producer of Hibiki. I was thinking about how often he's credited for adding what some call as "unnecessary conflict". Kamen Rider Agito was full of conflict though Toshiki Inoue (and in extension Yasuko Kobayashi) was also one to love writing conflict. Hmmm... I wonder did Shirakura also take part as a co-producer in Mirai Sentai Timeranger too? I was thinking that he does have some good shows (at least for me) but there are some of his works that I don't like. People still are aware of how I don't like Kamen Rider Decade and consider it to be the worst installment for the Kamen Rider franchise yet most of his works are enjoyable to my taste.For instance, Kabuto has some cool sci-fi references with the Worms and Blade is full of cool action.

Kamen Rider episode 6.5 did feature both actors namely Kendo Handa and Kohei Murakami talk about the producers. Yes, they have mentioned Shirakura and say, "So this too is all Producer Shirakura's fault!" So why was this joke written in that said episode? I even thought about it that this fourth wall breaking is that both actors are making their characters "aware" that Shirakura is the leading producer of Kamen Rider Faiz. Yet, no mention of Inoue who wrote all the episodes was ever referenced in said clip. I still laugh at it off. I guess Shirakura is now aware of how Faiz's downside is attributed to him. Yet, Faiz may still have some fans and I still think I have a soft spot for said series. Though I wish Inoue didn't write all the episodes. Hmmm what could have Kobayashi bring into the mix if she were Faiz's sub-writer?

Kamen Rider episode 7.5 actually has the directors too. Okay, the only one I could recognize is Koichi Sakamoto who I probably still harbor ill-feelings because of that stupid Girl's Blood movie and DO NOT even ask me to review it! Yet, one can't think of how much Sakamoto has contributed to Super Sentai, Kamen Rider and in extension Power Rangers. I still think how Sakamoto introduced plenty of out-of-suit fight scenes that made it into the final cut. Yet, one can't deny that there's always the tendency to cut out certain scenes due to time constraints. I even want to believe that these scenes were cut off to save time. Yet, there's also some directors who wanted to insert something else so I wonder what's really going on?

What do you think of the self-parody humor in the 0.5 episodes of Kamen Rider Zi-O?

Comments