Antagonist Showdown: Zhen Xiu Zhen's Kaede Doumyoji VS. Wang Lin's Kaede Doumyoji


Perhaps one of the more redeemable sides of Meteor Garden (2018) is the actress who brings Kaede Doumyoji or Dao Ming Feng. I was watching through it and said, "Oh she does LOOK familiar!" And yes she did -- she's actually Wang Lin who portrayed as the really manipulative latest wife in Romance in the Rain. I even remember how I praised Wang's performance over to that of Rosanna Gu from the 1986 version. Heck, she could have made a better Ai Lin (the deranged stepmother of Ting Ting) than Gu in Deep Courtyard IMHO!

Then I thought about actress Zhen Xiu Zhen who is a well-known Taiwanese actress. She did disappear during the 90s after a stormy marriage with former husband Zheng Wen Bin but returned eventually in said time period. She's also a good singer and I admit that she's got very powerful vocals! I thought about how she really portrayed the super evil mother in such a way -- it was so convincing. I can't forget how many times I wanted to strangle the character and praise the actress in more than one occasion! 

So in the battle of antagonists who do I think actually wins? Both actresses are good but I think Zhen has the better presence. Wang herself did good in her role as a manipulative two timer but I think Zhen has a more powerful voice. I couldn't forget how Zhen made Kaede really that scary especially with how well she acts. Wang herself does good as well but she's not that good -- she's good but lacks the strength of Zhen when it comes to playing said antagonist. IMHO, Zhen wins because of her better acting. Wang passes for the role though and I still want to give her credit. 

Comments