I Still Cherish F4 Without Ackowledging The F4 Bandwagon

I've been thinking it's some time since F4 was the very reason why I started watching Chinese media whether it'd be from China, Taiwan or Hong Kong. Meteor Garden was the very start of me watching Chinese drama series though why would I obsess over it (and the upcoming China remake) or even the just F4, F4 and all F4, right? Sure, I do still want to watch some of Vic Chou's latest projects and I miss Vanness Wu already, I'd probably like to see Jerry Yan have another movie (and I really wish he'd get a project with either Esther Liu or Liu Yi Fei) or have a Jerry Yan x Barbie Xu-Wang comeback series preferably a remake of the Chin/Liu TV series "After Many Red Sunsets" or "Secular Romance".

I remembered the F4 craze when it started, I thought they were a Japanese boy band until I heard them sing in Mandarin. I couldn't forget how these guys took me to the craze with Meteor Garden all the while there were other Taiwanese shows to watch such as My MVP Valentine, Dolphin Bay, Lavender or My MVP Valentine. I really got so annoyed at this fact -- I had a good time talking about Chinese drama UNTIL some of my peers brought up NOTHING BUT F4! Worse, some of them wouldn't watch anything unless it's F4. Like WTF seriously? Is F4 the only thing watchable in Chinese entertainment?! I don't think so!

In my case, F4 actually introduced me to some legends like Andy Lau (thanks to Magic Kitchen), Jacky Cheung (thanks to Love Scar) or Aaron Kwok (thanks to F4's Pepsi commercial) -- it had me more curious to check out more Chinese media than when I started. I can't get over how I actually ended up liking Lau's old movies or I ended up checking the very much 90s movie called Storm Riders. Also, if it weren't for Meteor Garden -- I don't think I'd actually known Zhen Xiu Zhen (the one who played as Kaede Doumyoji's Taiwanese counterpart) were a big time actress and singer. I ended up checking some Chinese classics while I still want to focus more on the new school.

One of the best things I really liked was how F4 ended up splitting. Vic Chou ended up singing a song called "I'm Not F4" which gave him a career of his own. Vanness Wu's individual career may not get him the spotlight I was able to appreciate him for him. Both Vic and Vanness were no longer F4. I thought of it that I ended up thinking of Jerry Yan without thinking about F4. I ended up not caring too much about Ken Chu though -- not especially his questionable conduct really got the best of him. Yup, that's the beginning of the end of that idiotic bandwagon since there's more to Chinese entertainment than just F4, right? 

Comments