My Soft Spot For Kamen Rider Kiva


I thought about all the times burnouts happen --  Kamen Rider Kiva is where Toshiki Inoue finally had no idea what to do. It's almost like what Hirohisa Soda did with Fiveman trying to mix a huge hot pot and Inoue's situation was no different. As Kiva celebrates its 10th anniversary -- I feel like trying to defend it considering I do have a soft spot for what some may consider to be Inoue's burnout season.

If there's any work right now that I appreciate in spite of it being a result of a burnout -- it's still Kamen Rider Kiva! I admit that I haven't found myself too fond of Kamen Rider Faiz and letting Inoue take over Kamen Rider Hibiki wasn't a good idea either. I felt like shouldn't Inoue have been given a chance to take a break? But in spite of that -- I still love the show for its really crazy hit or miss humor and an entirely new approach to writing the supernatural in Kamen Rider!

I couldn't get over the crazy humor that's present whether it's Wataru for being so naive or Shizuka's going nuts. You could also have Nago who's a lesser bad boy version of Gai from Jetman -- and how Inoue loves to shiptease them both even when they have zero chemistry. Is it me or does Inoue like crack pairings a lot? I like all the "bad humor" Inoue throws in every now and then -- such as Spider Fangire's lust for Megumi -- though the fact he used to lust after Megumi's mother Yuri can make it too creepy even if both mother and daughter look nothing alike.

It also has a creative way of throwing in two timelines as an art of giving flashbacks -- explaining how things happen in the present time. Perhaps my only complaint is that some events are utterly left out in the blue. For instance, just who in the world is Megumi's father? He's never shown and I wonder who Yuri procreated with to produce her daughter? It's still a big gap one way or another. I wish that it was made clear.

Not to mention, I do like the bizarre romance hypes that happen. I thought about how Wataru's naive mind and meeting Mio was an interesting plot. Wataru has no idea (yet) he's half a Fangire (hence why I love inserting Danny Phantom jokes into this show) or that his childhood friend Taiga is actually his maternal half-brother. They're destined to relive the love triangles of their fathers or how Otoya who once fell for Yuri -- ended up producing a half-Fangire child with Maya the Fangire Queen of the Past. Yeah, the whole plot where Maya the Fangire Queen commits adultery with a mere human is just weird.

I still think that the show is decent so far. Is it really a masterpiece? I wouldn't call it as such. It lacks the complex layers or mysterious feelings that Kamen Rider Kuuga and Kamen Rider Agito had when Heisei Rider was just starting. But one thing I can say is that while Kamen Rider Faiz was just too sad -- Kamen Rider Kiva can be a great show to watch when you're feeling blue while you want a bit of scarefest and a lot of actionfest. It's still a fun season even when it's already 2018.

Comments