Kamen Rider Faiz: Inoue Was Too Proud Of Himself That He Made A Finale Cameo


This year is Kamen Rider Faiz's 15th anniversary and I don't really feel like celebrating it that much. If there's anything I like about it's writer Toshiki Inoue -- it's that he wrote my personal favorite Super Sentai Chojin Sentai Jetman, Kamen Rider Agito (though some people now treat it with disdain because -- DUH IT'S INOUE) or that he wrote a couple of my favorite episodes in Super Sentai. I even thought that maybe, just maybe he should have had more episodes in Timeranger -- and he could have focused on anti-hero Naoto Takizawa! Hmmm... if he had more involvement in Timeranger then maybe he and Shinji Kasahara would have been best friends!

There's some things I do like about Kamen Rider Faiz -- even if I tend to think less of it. What are the stuff I like about it? I'm somewhat strongly attacked to darker and edgier storylines, I like how "mature" Faiz can feel in a certain level, I like the whole human vs. Orphnoch war, I like the sad atmosphere (hence it becomes my own personal reason why I'm a Timeranger fan). Also, it was written by Inoue before he eventually burned out during Kamen Rider Kiva. What's even stranger is that I prefer the crazy not scary world of Kamen Rider Kiva over Kamen Rider Faiz.

More importantly -- Inoue wrote the whole series from start to end. He wanted to get the darkest and edgiest as he could possibly do it. Worse, he even had to create Masato Kusaka as sideline antagonist. IMO, I dunno which is really more satisfying to watch between Captain Ryuya Asami's bloody death in Timeranger or seeing Masato's neck broken by Yuji? Masato felt more evil than most of the antagonists in the show. What's even crazier is that Inoue picked Masato as one of his favorites -- and he has a close relationship with actor Kohei Murakami.

IMO the show turns out to spin in circles (at times) worse than Inoue throwing just anything he could (as he was burnt out) during Kamen Rider Kiva's Care Bears meets Transylvania run. Sometimes, some episodes tend to DRAG things a lot in some areas. I still feel like that Masato was just there to annoy (at times) than to have a more important plot. Worse, some characters just randomly pop out like the Orphnoch King and the finale is pretty questionable. Sometimes, I even wonder which is more badly written between ToQGer's finale (where Emperor Zetto gets into a coma of sorts) or when Orphnoch King is revealed to be still in a coma? I even feel like, "Was he even proud of his really badly wrapped up finale?" to the point he even appeared in it?

This also reminds me of a bit of parallel to what happened with Yasuko Kobayashi during Go-Busters. Kobayashi was probably trying to make Go-Busters her most serious work and tried to outdo Timeranger (and I even think she wanted a post-apocalyptic scenario like Power Rangers RPM -- which could have been way better). Inoue was probably trying to outdo Kamen Rider Agito with Kamen Rider Faiz. Both writers were showing signs of burning out in those seasons -- and they ended up getting a lighter and softer fun ride with Kamen Rider Kiva and ToQGer where they handled naive protagonists along the way.

So why was he so proud of his work that he even made a cameo? What do you think?

Comments