I Didn't Like K-Drama At First Then I Tend To Watch Them For Shallow Reasons


Since it's February I want to write a bit on the first time I got exposed to Korean drama. My first time watching it was Autumn in My Heart in the Endless Love series. I personally didn't like the super melodramatic mood of the Endless Love tetralogy -- maybe except for Spring Waltz where I developed an unhealthy crush on its leading lady for some time.

Korean culture for me was a culture shock or what? Maybe, I was just too used to either Japanese and Chinese series -- but I couldn't find myself to watch Korean series at first. I found Hangul to be a very weird language (at first) though I can tolerate it these days. IMO, it still doesn't sound as good as either Nihonggo or Mandarin. Plus, I don't really care too much about K-Pop music even if I already watch Korean series these days.

I thought about the number of times Autumn in My Heart actually drove me into tears. I wonder why such weepy drama gets popular. I couldn't forget the rather stupid crush I had on Song Hye Kyo (even if she was older than me) while ignoring the fact that she's a woman I would never have -- and last year just confirmed it. I couldn't get over the whole leukemia scene, the whole scene that the lovers once thought that they were siblings and later the leading lady develops sickness and dies.

But that wasn't the end. I just thought about watching Full House (in the closet) denying even to myself I developed a crazy crush on Hye Kyo -- that was until Spring Waltz came. I thought about some pretty Korean girls never mind that there was a good plot around it. Another instance where I watched K-Drama for eye candy alone was Forbidden Love and Love Story in Harvard because of Kim Tae Hee. The same goes for Suzy Bae -- it's hard to concentrate on the good story with a pretty girl around.

This dull side of my hyperactive mind can be so contradictory. I couldn't watch those idiotic teleseryes even if they have all the eye candy. No amount of eye candy boost up ratings and no amount of teasing scenes can save a bad story. The women in those drama I've watched are usually in modest attires but can't deny how they still attract me. I know South Korea has the surgery craze but some of them are obviously natural beauties. So what's the point in rejecting teleseryes for their eye candy if I tend to watch a good show for the packaging and not the content?

I end up realizing that it's not the eye candy but the good story that makes the show worth watching. If there's any reason I could enjoy the Korean version of Full House over its bootleg quality version in the Philippines -- it's the acting and writing. It's not because Hye Kyo is prettier than Heart Evangelista. It's because she acts better and the whole cast does better. Still, I find myself in those really shallow tendencies to watch a good show for really shallow reasons.

Comments