Descendants Of The Sun's Rather Weird Finale

I just finished Descendants of the Sun and it didn't matter if I finished it past Valentine's -- it's a freaking captivating series yet it has one weird finale. Yup, I thought that the finale was written with mostly flashbacks and the whole thought that both Shi Jin and Dae Young were supposedly dead and declared dead. I find it crazy why do certain deaths have to be kept anonymous? It's freaking bizarre... really. And I thought about how the finale in itself is pretty weird. 

So why let the audiences know only in the FINALE to why Shi Jin and Dae Young were gone missing for a year? It does explain why he couldn't call or even let anyone he's alive. He's in a trauma being caught in the enemy camp. Who knows what torture did to his brain and body. I guess he was too traumatized to even remember anything or to recover quick. This shocks Mo Yeon to see her supposedly dead boyfriend alive. They were rescued by Joon Joon but that wouldn't make up for all the trauma the two experienced from being tortured and lived to tell the tale. Good thing they came out with complete set of limbs or I can't imagine how they'd live without them after the war! Real war torture has been MUCH WORSE than what's depicted in the flashback.

I always thought the whole one year trauma and missing your supposedly deceased boyfriend can do a lot of serious harm to anyone. I really wanted to cry with Mo Yeon whenever she wants to remember him. Part of me wished I were in the story to try and own her now that Si Jin is supposedly out of the picture. They meet after so long and she thinks she's hallucinating. It turns out that he was so much alive. I was touched by the moment. Later, Si Jin gets promoted in his rank for his heroism which was denied for too long.

The love story of Dae Young and Myung Joo is another story. The general nearly regrets losing him though I seldom love the whole "nasa huli ang pagsisisi" or "regret is at the end" type of stories. But I'm glad that both of them got their happy ending after a year of war. I wasn't too much of a fan of the two but still I'm glad that they got to be together.

For me, I wish the finale were written in a bit more straightforward way like most Korean drama. I find the finale a bit confusing to follow if you ask me. Anyway, I still find it not too surprised that they ended up together. It made me wish (in part) that Mitsuomi Takahashi and Haruka Suenaga ended with each other instead of their real life partners even if we're talking about entirely two different shows. 

So I'm done and I think I might rewatch it -- but I want to try and finish Hwayugi ASAP. But this makes me think should I take a temporary break from any Toku show or will I enjoy my Korean kimbap with Japanese ramen? Hehehe!

Comments