A Silly Rollercoaster Ride With Tokusatsu And K-Drama

I admit, I'm wasn't that fond of K-Dramas (though I'm probably watching more of it now than Tokusatsu -- and I'm going to watch Lupinranger vs. Patoranger while watching some K-Dramas) and I don't find Korean entertainment to be all that special -- I still don't like the craze it has while appreciating the good stuff from it. But I can't deny that last decade was where I had some really utterly idiotic moment when watching K-Drama. I openly pretended to dislike it all the while I had a guilty pleasure -- which started with Song Hye Kyo during Autumn in My Heart. 

Yes, she's that pretty and I remembered "hating" Song Seung Hoon that much behind closed doors. I just didn't want to admit I developed a really crazy crush on Hye Kyo -- never mind that she's a girl I'll never have. Worse, the part where she played her dying character made me feel like a baby. Drying my tears and pretending nothing's wrong was all I could do during that time. It was just so stupid. And I secretly watched Full House while pretending to hate it -- to hide that crazy crush I had on Hye Kyo for some time -- never mind she's a girl I'll never have.

Then it happened -- I really ended up renewing my interest in Super Sentai for some dumb reasons -- it's because Haruka Suenaga bore a certain resemblance to Hye Kyo which is just so stupid. I decided to watch some new school Super Sentai last decade, said, "Hey it's not bad!" for super dumb reasons. But even if I have renewed my interest in Super Sentai (or any Toku franchise for that matter) -- I'm not that big of a fan of either K-Drama or Tokusatsu. I'm just watching it for my leisure.

Then it happened -- Boukenger entered its 10th anniversary last 2016. What's so ironic was that Hye Kyo met her husband four years her junior Song Joong Ki (my age) on the set where they were filmed as a couple. I even thought about how the chemistry of Joong Ki and Hye Kyo felt better than that of Boukenger's Satoru and Sakura. It's not a one sided crush though I wanted to pretend Sakura became a doctor and Satoru became a soldier -- all the while I was secretly jealous of Joong Ki having been on set with her AND finally getting her for real. I'd be lying if I didn't feel a bit hurt last year and this year and more events to come. =P 

While watching it, I can't stop singing the Boukenger theme song or joking that, "WTF Sakura, have you forgotten you're a Boukenger?" in the scene where the car dropped off the cliff. It's just crazy that I forgot that I wasn't watching Boukenger: Ten Years After -- it was Descendants of the Sun and everyone's a different character! If it were Boukenger Ten Years after -- I think Satoru and Sakura would have been developed too late here. But no, it's not them and I had to keep that in mind while watching it. 

Then I thought about it that I could still enjoy both at the same time -- though taking a break from one every now and then can be beneficial. I even feel like that maybe, just maybe I should lessen by Tokusatsu load and watch more K-Drama for now. I still feel like maybe I'm having an overdose of Tokusatsu now. Then I'll end up doing the reverse by watching more Tokusatsu than K-Drama. It's a crazy experience in epic levels of craziness.

I still don't regret riding that rollercoaster ride. After all, life isn't always going up, innovation means learning from mistakes and finding out why something new didn't work in one's quest to improve all the time and that's it!

Comments