Mind Hurts: Why Do I Even Call Certain Fantasy-Based K-Drama And C-Drama As Toku?!


 I admit, I'm among some people who once thought of Tokusatsu as Ultraman, Choseishin series, Kamen Rider, Metal Hero, Super Sentai series or anything similar to it. Then I later found the terms Tokusatsu, Metal Hero, Kamen Rider and a lot more when I became a teenager. Heck, I even found out that Kamen Rider was the official name for Masked Rider (no, not the idiotic adaptation decay called Mashed Ripper) hence why Kamen Rider Black was dubbed as Masked Rider Black. My head spun when I first heard of the word "Tokusatsu".

Here's how Definitions.net defines Tokusatsu:

Tokusatsu is a Japanese term that applies to any live-action film or television drama that features considerable use of special effects. Tokusatsu entertainment often deals with science fiction, fantasy or horror, but movies and television shows in other genres can sometimes count as tokusatsu as well. The most popular types of tokusatsu include kaiju monster movies like the Godzilla and Gamera film series; superhero TV serials such as the Kamen Rider and Metal Hero series; and mecha dramas like Giant Robo. Some tokusatsu television programs combine several of these subgenres, for example the Ultraman and Super Sentai series. Tokusatsu is one of the most popular forms of Japanese entertainment, but most tokusatsu movies and television programs are not widely known outside Asia.

Going by that term, doesn't that go beyond "Super Sentai! Kamen Rider! Ultraman!" and the like? With that in mind, I thought about how Japan's Toku revolution may have inspired a whole new generation of shows. After all, what may have started in Japan gets different variations in other countries. Sometimes, what is Anime in Japan becomes Tokusatsu in another country. I'll try to give my explanation for that statement.


Why do I even feel like calling Gu Family Book as Korean Tokusatsu? Well, anybody can say, "But it's an adaptation of Inuyasha with some changes for the Korean audience!" As said, an adaptation can move from one medium to another. Inuyasha went from Manga to Anime. the difference is Gu Family Book flies away from its inspiration Inuyasha even if one could view it as a live version of said story. The fact it's not in Japan but in South Korea makes it a localization because of cultural differences.

So why is it still considered Korean Tokusatsu? You can think about the considerable use of special effects. Does it deal with science fiction, fantasy and/or horror for a superhero show? Yup, Kang Chi himself is the Korean Inuyasha. Sure, Kang Chi doesn't wear spandex but doesn't he transform into a wolf? Then again, even without transforming or henshin heroes they use a considerable amount of special effects. Sure, there may be attempts by South Koreans to create their own Tokusatsu similar to Japan but we can't dismiss everything else that fits the definition of Tokusatsu.

If you're looking for some good Korean Tokusatsu then maybe the Korean version of City Hunter is just one. Others may include Hwayugi (which may or may not be based on Gensomaden Saiyuki which was also loosely based on Journey to the West) or maybe we can include Iljimae to name a few. But as said, I'm a casual fan so I can't recommend that much to what I unofficially call as Korean Toku series either!

I even remembered writing on whether or not Wuxia series should also be considered as Tokusatsu. Okay, it's hard to determine when Toku became Toku but I'd credit the Japanese for actually inspiring people to seek better quality. I don't think Wuxia entertainment would have gotten better if the Chinese didn't learn from the Japanese. Sure, I prefer the craziness of Chinese martial arts cinema in exaggeration over Japanese martial arts cinema but I still think the Japanese revolutionized the media industry from DVD technology to better filming techniques.

I think one of the reasons why I prefer new school Wuxia series over most of the old school (except those that came late 80s to 90s) is not just familiarity. It's all about the filming techniques. Sure, I could still enjoy old school Wuxia but I end up thinking the modern versions are easier to adjust to even if I prefer old school music most of the time. What's also cool for me is that some Wuxia series did get a Japanese Anime version based on them. I guess it's a cycle where you have Chinese adapting Japanese entertainment and the Japanese do the same. It's a cultural exchange, isn't it?

Yes, I'm aware that Chinese entertainment has been trying to do Japanese Toku inspired series and I want to try checking some of them out as much I want to check the Korean Toku series Ray Force. Still, I want to honor Wuxia and Chinese fantasy series to also be part of the Chinese Tokusatsu genre. After all, don't they use much elements of fantasy and science fiction as well as an extensive use of special effects?

__________

In the end, there's always a cultural exchange. What may have started in Japan ended up getting different versions in other countries. Japan hasn't been always so original either. A good example is that Dairanger and Gekiranger have borrowed ideas from Chinese culture. Gekiranger went as far as to ask permission from certain Chinese entertainment industries to make tributes in the form of the Fist Saints. Some Japanese Anime are based on Chinese entertainment. All the while, some Chinese entertainment are based on Japanese entertainment. Then Koreans followed that lead which helps continue in this spread of culture.

What I like about the Chinese and Korean way of making Tokusatsu out of Japanese entertainment (in contrast to how Americans do theirs) is the effort exerted. All the fight footage they make is their hard work without having to borrow footage from the Japanese source. No use of same costumes and they make their own version of the costumes. They simply make it go from Japanese to Chinese or Korean versions. It doesn't come cheap and they want to do the filming from scratch. It's pretty much what I'd call all you paid for was the rights to the story without having to pay more to use duplicate footage and costumes. That's real hard work even when the story wasn't theirs compared to letting the footage save the show every now and then.

Right now, I just want to rant this one feeling that the term has gone beyond Japan. Tokusatsu may no longer just be a Japanese thing (though I still think they're the best for my taste) as it may now be an international thing. What do you think?

Comments