I'm Off To Watching Hwayugi

Shoot! I haven't realized that Hwayugi (which is loosely based on the Chinese epic Journey to the West) has already started airing. I remembered getting a bit of a hangover with While You Were Sleeping's end, it was a good series and now it's time to check Lee Seung Gi who's returned from the military. The story is a pseudo-sequel of the novel and it looks like Sun Wukong has become human for this story. 

This is a present day, Korean retelling of the story. For one, I'm quite a sucker for fantasy genre. Two, this could be considered as a Korean "Tokusatsu". Tokusatsu is a Japanese term that uses a considerable amount of special effects. Nope, I'm not talking about Koreans trying to do their own Gransazer or Justirizer inspired type of heroes but some live drama involving loads of special effects. This one, Hwayugi is a fantasy series and I think it should be considered as Tokusatsu. 

Okay, I'd be lying to say I don't have stupid reasons to watch it such as the girl Jin Sun Mu (acted by actress Oh Yeon Soo) is pretty attractive. Back to plot... so how in the world is she a descendant of Xuanzang if he's actually a celibate and shouldn't have sexual relations? Oh boy, as if Ed Boon trying to explain how the Great Kung Lao a fighting monk had descendants? Is it descendant in the spiritual sense than the biological sense? I hope the show explains it because that alone causes confusion. Was she once the monk Xuanzang in her previous life and for some reason, he was reincarnated into a woman? Can't be too sure until I start watching it.

With this in mind, I'm NOT on a Tokusatsu break as of the moment. Lupinranger vs. Patoranger looks interesting, Kamen Rider Build is good though I prefer Kyuranger as of late. As a compromise, I may not do episode reviews of Kamen Rider Build while doing batch reviews later. Doing more episode reviews can be so tiresome doing all those annoying screenshots! I may not even do an episode by episode review considering three to four episodes have been aired already.

Instead, I may just do a bit of snail posting in relation to this one. That is I'll post little bits of my thoughts rather than do episode reviews. So that means, you could consider me not doing any Kamen Rider Build weekly updates any longer to ease my mind. 

Comments