Sawa Takigawa May Be In The Danger Of Becoming The New Megumi Asano


I was watching Kamen Rider Build and I'm already having my concerns early on. Sure, I like the dark atmosphere after spending some time in a lighter atmosphere since Kamen Rider Den-O (and they were good in their on way) but I do have my concern. It's the character Sawa Takigawa. She's a freelance journalist. Just in episode three, she's showing signs that she could mutate into this character...

That would be Megumi Asano from Kamen Rider Ryuki. I remembered how I could have liked Ryuki, it had potential to be a good Kamen Rider series but executives and probably some whiny parents caused it to die out. She first appeared in episode 30 of Ryuki where I believe executives forced Toshiki Inoue to write her in to "lessen the tragedy". While she's attractive but she ends up as a waste of space. She doesn't serve as the "necessary conflict "either unlike how Inoue was once allowed to write characters like Hojo Toru in Agito or Masato Kusaka in Faiz. Both Hojo and Masato were plot relevant but no, not Megumi. 

What I think is that, Sawa herself should be kept relevant like finding secret information. While Megumi from Ryuki was anything but useful but at least Sawa started discovering something. I hope writers won't derail her character for the sake of comedy. Hopefully, Build will try to keep some balance and I don't mind if it would choose to become less serious... just don't turn Sawa into the Megumu Asano 2.0. 

Comments