Skip to main content

Is Kamen Rider Ghost Trying To Make A Japanese Version Of Danny Phantom?

During the run from Kyoryuger up to Ninninger, I've been skipping them in favor of Kamen Rider. Kamen Rider Wizard was more of a guilty pleasure for Medusa's actress Erina Nakayama. Kamen Rider Gaim fixed a lot of errors that were in Kamen Rider Ryuki. Kamen Rider Drive came in my dream of a police-themed Kamen Rider. Then we presently have Kamen Rider Ghost. While I was expecting a Yuu Yuu Hakusho inspired show, I want to call it as Japan's attempt to try to create their own version of Danny Phantom.

The attempt to make a Japanese version of Danny Phantom seems to have already been already done during Kamen Rider Kiva's run. While watching Kamen Rider Kiva, I can't help but make fun of the show's comical situations. Some fans of the show may call it Twilight meets Kamen Rider. I called it Kamen Rider Danny Phantom because of the existence of Western-style horror movie characters set to a world of rainbows and teddy bears. Kiva had the Fangire World going on with very Western themes going on. 

Kamen Rider Ghost deviates from western theme while having very Japanese theme going on. Even if the hero Takeru Tenkuji is getting his powers from known historical and mythological figures around the world, the theme's still super Japanese. Even the Ghost World seems to fit in with the now deceased Imperial Japan. While he doesn't have any idiotic characters similar to Danny Phantom's cast (ex. His father is far from being an idiot like Jack Fenton) nor does he have a Skullkur to haunt him like Lion Fangire did to Wataru, I still feel the show is partly Danny Phantom inspired.

While Kamen Rider Ghost may hardly have any similar characters with Danny Phantom but I can't help but say, "You're trying to make a Danny Phantom inspired show." Battling ghosts, using scientific equipment to detect them, a ghost world and a ghost superhero are similarities the shows share with Danny Phantom. In my case, I want to end up thinking of Kamen Rider Ghost as a decent attempt to innovate Kamen Rider Hibiki. Kamen Rider Hibiki was THAT BORING for me. This show still has a lot of good laughs that Hibiki failed to give me. I may like Kamen Rider Kiva better but it doesn't mean I don't like this show. 

Comments