My View on Kamen Rider of the Heisei Era and Toy Sales

It would be important to analyze the toy sales area of Kamen Rider for me especially I graduated in the field of commerce.  Now for my analysis:


Kamen Rider Kuuga was basically one season that really was taking the whole new definition of multiple forms, each one was pretty cool.  So we have the Rising Form, Pegasus Form, Titan Form and Dragon Form which were all experimented on and did well.  It went beyond Black RX's having two extra forms and the format for riders with multiple forms was already a norm ever since.  Hmmm maybe I should credit Kuuga's weapons for adding to toy sales as well.


Another strategy was the multiple riders.  I really thought that during the Ryuki series, I didn't immediately like the idea of having multiple riders in a rider but I grew to like it.  For Ryuki, it was Kobayashi's first work.  This show was produced by Shinichiro Shirakura and Naomi Takabe who I might actually credit for being money magnets in terms of toy sales.  For one, I'd say this show has a lot of toys with all the cool designs featured by the conflicting Kamen Riders in this show.  Then again, multiple riders started to return in Agito while Kuuga had only one Rider (pretty old school throwback but a good one).  Agito had four riders in total, Ryuki had 13 if you count the specials as well.  Then again, multiple riders were done in the first Kamen Rider and Kamen Rider V3 during the Showa era so it's more or less improvising an old strategy that wasn't done in Kuuga.


Kamen Rider Decade is one messy season but it's pretty popular to the younger kids.  It made me think that the show may have actually managed to sell out more Rider toys than ever.


Kamen Rider OOO began the whole practice of gadgetry which really continued in Fourze, Wizard and Gaim.  It may be cheesy but kids love the gadgets like the switches, tokens and rings.  I guess multiple riders while they are still feasible, Toei wanted to maximize the choices kids may have.  I mean, not every kid may like action figures compared to plastic weapons and gadgets.  I guess this was done to do a huge variety of choices.

Just me thinking, I should probably stop being overly critical about the changes Tokusatsu has in general as of present.  After all, the fans of the past like me are all grown up adults and sometimes, adults will need to watch something silly to feel younger.

Comments